[asterisk-users] Caller ID

Cary Fitch caryf at usawide.net
Tue Mar 1 11:23:19 CST 2011

We do not get caller ID (name) on our telco lines.

However we have a few single line extensions with consumer type handsets
that ring at odd hours with "Asterisk" before the phone is picked up, and
"Out of Area"  after it is picked up.

I have read that "Asterisk" is what is reported by Asterisk for 0 length
caller ID number.

But since we don't subscribe to Caller ID Name, I am wondering where the
"Out of Area" is coming from?

Could these be hacking attempts via IP?   Perhaps they are doing the caller
ID name?  It only happens to a few extensions as far a we know.

TIA for any input or knowledge.