[asterisk-users] wav files are not playing asterisk

Steve Edwards asterisk.org at sedwards.com
Tue Mar 1 08:25:51 CST 2011

On Tue, 1 Mar 2011, Nikhil wrote:

> I try to play a wav file in asterisk ,but its accepting only gsm
> files.Do u know where I need to change to make it works.

Asterisk chooses a file encoding based on the channel encoding. If your
channel is encoded as GSM, Asterisk will not look for a .wav of the same
name if a .gsm is available. If the .gsm is not available, Asterisk will
use the .wav with the additional 'overhead' of transcoding the data to
GSM.

Without any console log, these are just guesses:

1) Don't specify the file type in your dialplan. Asterisk chooses a file
type for you based on channel encoding and formatting modules loaded. Is
format_wav.so loaded?

2) Your WAV file is not encoded correctly. The 'file' command should show
something like 'RIFF (little-endian) data, WAVE audio, Microsoft PCM, 16
bit, mono 8000 Hz'

3) You have permission issues. From a shell, as the user your instance of
Asterisk runs as, can you access the file?

If this doesn't help, please repost including the relevant dialplan
context (as displayed by 'dialplan show <relevant-context-name>) and a
snippet of the console log of a call playing the WAV file.

--
Thanks in advance,