[asterisk-users] Outgoing calls get dropped on high-latency connections.

Ernie Dunbar maillist at lightspeed.ca
Tue Jun 28 11:32:37 CDT 2011

We're a VoIP provider essentially competing with our local incumbent
Telco, and a sizeable number of our customers use satellite internet.
As a result, these customers never have ping times less than 500ms,
and are often exceeding 2500ms.

I manually apply a "patch" to the Asterisk source code every time we
upgrade Asterisk, described here:
http://www.mail-archive.com/asterisk-users@lists.digium.com/msg178034.html
This change allows our satellite customers to maintain their SIP
connection for more than 5 minutes. But we're currently using Asterisk
1.6.2.17, and this version seems to have one very strange bug on these
high latency connections. On outgoing and *only* outgoing calls, the
call drops after two or three minutes. Incoming calls do not have this
problem, so I don't think it's the SIP connection getting killed due
to a slow INVITE response.

Has anyone heard of this bug? Or should I submit a new bug report to
the Asterisk project?