[asterisk-users] How to set BRI-to-BRI trunk using 2 HA8+B400M cards

Richard Mudgett rmudgett at digium.com
Wed Jun 22 10:44:27 CDT 2011

> My setup is:
> Asterisk1 w/ HA8+B400M --- Asterisk2 w/ HA8+B400M --- Patton SN4638
>
> Asterisk1 is in TE/PtP (with termination)
> Asterisk2 is in NT/PtP( with termination)
> Patton is in TE/PtP
> The cable between Asterisk boxes is an RJ11M-RJ11M (custom made with
> pinouts 1 to 1, 2 to 2, ...).
> The cable between Asterisk2 and Patton boxes is an RJ11M-RJ45M from
> Digium package
>

> At the moment, I can't get a stable trunk (as described above) between
> 2 Asterisk boxes but I can get a stable one betwen Asterisk2 and
> Patton boxes.
>
> Once I could once pass a phone between both boxes but most of the
> time, the trunk is down :
> asterisk -rx "pri show spans"
> PRI span 1/0: Provisioned, In Alarm, Down, Active
> or
> asterisk -rx "pri show spans"
> PRI span 1/0: Provisioned, Up, Active
> PRI span 2/0: Provisioned, In Alarm, Down, Active
>

> In Asterisk1 (the TE/PtP box), config is :
> /etc/dahdi/system.conf
> span=1,1,0,ccs,ami,term,te
> bchan=1-2
> hardhdlc=3
> echocanceller=oslec,1-2
>
> /etc/asterisk/dahdi-channels.conf
> ; Span 1: WCBRI/0/0 "HA8-0000 Board 1" (MASTER) AMI/CCS RED
> group=1,11
> context=remote
> switchtype = euroisdn
> signalling = bri_cpe
> channel => 1-2
> context = default
> group = 63
>

> In Asterisk2 (the NT/PtP box), config is :
> /etc/dahdi/system.conf
> span=2,0,0,ccs,ami,term,nt
> # termtype: nt
> bchan=4-5
> hardhdlc=6
> echocanceller=oslec,4-5
>

> /etc/asterisk/dahdi-channels.conf
> ; Span 2: WCBRI/0/1 "HA8-0000 Board 1"
> group=1,12
> context=remote
> switchtype = euroisdn
> signalling = bri_net
> channel => 4-5
> context = default
> group = 63
>

> Please, take note that :
> A. port 1 in Asterisk1 is connected to port2 in Asterisk2.
> B. port 1 in Asterisk2 is connected to a Patton 4638 port.
> C. ports 1 and 2 in Asterisk2 belongs to the same group (using 2
> different groups doesn't change anything, it seems but I didn't digg
> much).
> D. I'm using asterisk 1.6.1.18, libpri 1.4.11.5 and dahdi 2.4.1(.2)
>

> How can I make this work ?
> Suggestions

The link between the Asterisk boxes must not be terminated on both
ends.  Termination resistors on both ends is practically guaranteed
to cause link issues.

Also make sure that clocking is only supplied by one side of the link.
(The Asterisk1 clock should be slaved to Asterisk2 which should be in
slaved to the Patton link.)

Richard