[asterisk-users] Cisco IP Phones and Skinny in asterisk

bilal ghayyad bilmar_gh at yahoo.com
Tue Jun 21 17:35:46 CDT 2011

Dear Warren;

It look like u have a good experience in 791x series and in selecting SIP formware, so I am sure you might be able to help in the following:

As u know, there are SIP firmware for Cisco phones to be used with Call Manager and other firmware to be used with Generic SIP Server (other than Cisco Unified Call Manager). Actually the firmware that start by P0S is that used for Generic SIP Server and that start by cmterm is used for Cisco Unified Call Manager.

Can I understand from ur blog, that u can use the files that its name start by cmterm to make the Cisco IP Phone to be SIP image that can be used by Asterisk?

In my case, as the Phones are 7942G, then there are two files are available, really I do not know the difference between them (if u can advise):

cmterm-7942_7962-sip.9-2-1.cop.sgn (which is written that it is SIP IP Phone load) and cmterm-7942_7962-sip.9-2-1.zip which is written that it is SIP IP Phone firmware files only. So what is the difference between them "the load and the firmware"?

Now, when I need to do the upgrade for the Phone, then I have to determine in the xml files the needed firmware?

Appreciate your kindly help.

Regards
Bilal