[asterisk-users] Inbound CallerID displays asterisk

Warren Selby wcselby at selbytech.com
Mon Jun 20 21:01:17 CDT 2011

On Mon, Jun 20, 2011 at 6:33 PM, ERIC HERRON <eric at lanline.com> wrote:

> I have an asterisk 1.4.26 mte running.****
>
> ** **
>
> Sometimes inbound caller ID displays “asterisk”****
>
> ** **
>
> These calls do not show up on the CLI nor the CDR.****
>
> ** **
>
> I read somewhere that these are asterisk hack attempts.****
>
> ** **
>
> Is this true? ****
>
> ** **
>
> What is the best way to defend from this?****
>
> ** **
>
> I know a secure password and all but the client is getting annoyed with the
> random inbound calls.****
>
> ** **

Crank you CLI verbosity up to 10 or so and wait for the next time this
happens.  You should see SOMETHING on the CLI during the call.  Post that
output to the list and we can help you from there.

This does not always indicate someone attempting to hack you, I've seen this
occur when there are line errors on FXO devices (among other things).

--
Thanks,
--Warren Selby, dCAP