[asterisk-users] Problem with ReceiveFAX app from FFA

Bryant Zimmerman BryantZ at zktech.com
Mon Jun 20 14:43:08 CDT 2011

 From: "Warren Selby" <wcselby at selbytech.com>
Sent: Monday, June 20, 2011 3:00 PM
To: "Asterisk Users Mailing List - Non-Commercial Discussion"
<asterisk-users at lists.digium.com>
Subject: Re: [asterisk-users] Problem with ReceiveFAX app from FFA

On Mon, Jun 20, 2011 at 7:44 AM, Larry Moore <lmoore at starwon.com.au>
wrote:
<snip>
 I personally have considered this behaviour to possibly be a bug.

Once a fax is sent, the sending fax machine typically hangs up the call -
sending the call to the "h" extension.  It's the same as if you are on an
actual call that was connected using the Dial() application, and the other
end hangs up - the next step is the 'h' extension, not to continue in the
current dialplan.  I don't see how this is a bug, unless you think the
entire call-flow paradigm that currently exists in asterisk is a bug.

Now, if you're not getting certain variables to pass into the 'h'
extension, that you feel should indeed be passed into the 'h' extension,
that may be considered a bug...but you would need to show us CLI output and
existing dialplan for followup.

--
Thanks,
--Warren Selby, dCAP

Waren

I concur we use the "h" extension to log inbound faxes to a database and
then we process them outside the asterisk platform.  Our biggest issue with
ReceiveFAX is about a 20% t.38 negotiation fail ratio. We then force fall
back to t.30 for the next call from that number. We would like to see
better success with t.38. Today our primary server has had 910 faxes of
which 707 negotiated t.38, 44 have failed darn robo dialers, The rest
failed the first attempt and came in T.30 on the second call.

Thanks
Bryant