[asterisk-users] SMS with Asterisk

Steve Totaro stotaro at totarotechnologies.com
Sun Jun 19 08:16:32 CDT 2011

On Sun, Jun 19, 2011 at 8:49 AM, Steve Totaro
<stotaro at totarotechnologies.com> wrote:
> On Sun, Jun 19, 2011 at 5:13 AM, virendra bhati <virbhati at gmail.com> wrote:
>> Hi List,
>>
>> I have installed Kannel server into my Linux server. I have  asterisk
>> installed into the same server. Now I want to connect both opensource
>> project. As per the VoIP-info website I read that in asterisk there is an
>> option to send SMS. You how to do it. If you have any idea then please help
>> me so thatI will make asterisk as per my need.
>>
>> -----
>> Thanks and regards
>>
>>  Virendra Bhati
>> +91-9172341457
>> virbhati at gmail.com
>> Software Engineer
>>

> Asterisk has some built in features for SMS.  You don't need them, you
> have already setup Kennal which is light years ahead of Asterisk's
> native in SMS apps and features.
>
> The way I do it is to use the System application.  It allows you to
> run programs and such.
>
> With system, I call a program called Lynx which is just a simple text
> web browser.) to open hit a URL that Kannel deciphers and sends the
> SMS however you Kannel setup.  The URL contains all of the information
> needed to send the SMS, so part of the URL is the destination phone
> number, part is the body, obviously you need to set your variables in
> Asterisk and then use the variables in in the Lynx URL.
>
> I just found this article that should answer most if not all of your
> questions.  It work just fine for me at many locations.
>
> http://www.kannel.org/download/1.4.1/userguide-1.4.1/userguide.html#AEN834
>
> Thanks,
> Steve Totaro

This link show how to send SMS using HTTP(s) and the format of the URL.

http://www.kannel.org/download/1.4.1/userguide-1.4.1/userguide.html#AEN4201

The previous link is good news to me.  Now I can do anything by
hitting a URL. it is so simple.

Thanks
Steve T