[asterisk-users] Cisco IP Phones and Skinny in asterisk

Dan Austin Dan_Austin at Phoenix.com
Thu Jun 16 13:38:53 CDT 2011

> The Asterisk version is 1.8.3.2

> The Cisco IP Phone is 7942G and it is running now skinny.

> The used TFTP is tftp-server which is installed in fedora.

> I placed the following two files (but look like it was not taken from the TFTP, as
> nothing appeared in the messages), but I am able to to ping from the asterisk box to the > vlan that the Phone is connected, so no problem in the reachability:

> SEPB8BEBF22AB62.cnf.xml
> xmlDefault.CNF.XML

> Are the files name correct? Or the Cisco IP Phone 7942G are not working fine with
> Asterisk or the tftp-server?
 Cisco has changed the file name format a few times, so
you may want to copy xmlDefault.CNF.XML to XMLDefault.cnf.xml

The more important steps is how have you configured the phone
to locate the TFTP server?  Are you using option 150 in DHCP, or
manually setting the TFTP server address on the phone.

Technically you do not need a TFTP server, since the Skinny phones
will try to use the TFTP server address for registration, so you
can just set that address to point to your asterisk server. A TFTP
server is needed if you want custom ringtones or to manage software
updates.

For small setups or my home, I skipped setting up the TFTP server
until I wanted to update the phone firmware.

Dan