[asterisk-users] LXC and Dahdi

Tzafrir Cohen tzafrir.cohen at xorcom.com
Sun Jun 12 05:46:30 CDT 2011

On Sun, Jun 12, 2011 at 11:56:52AM +0200, Olivier wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Does it make sense to use LXC as mean to quickly switch from one dahdi
> version to another or shall other virtualization technologies be preferred ?

LXC is basically the same as OpenVZ and Linux-VServer (and probably like
Solaris Zones and FreeBSD Jails): The processes of the guest still run
inder the same host (specifically: share the same kernel).

LXC (or rather: cgroups) is now prt of mainline kernel. From palying
with it on Debian Squeeze, it feels still a bit immature (and even more
so: lacking documentation). But as the usage of cgroups grows in the
coming years (e.g.: in systemd), I would expect to see it more and more
common.

KVM, Xen, VMWare and the likes "emulate" a complete virtual machine. Not
just a set of processes. Specifically, your processes run on top of
their own kernel. This requires more resources, but provides better
isolation.

--
               Tzafrir Cohen
icq#16849755              jabber:tzafrir.cohen at xorcom.com