[asterisk-users] Callerid issue

A J Stiles asterisk_list at earthshod.co.uk
Fri Jun 10 06:53:02 CDT 2011

On Friday 10 Jun 2011, Steve Totaro wrote:
> I never understood hy people who have block of DIDs in a row choose to
> make life difficult by not incrementing extensions by one, send caller
> ID by prepending the common numbers and only sending four digits.

Well, to be fair, that's what most people usually start out trying to do --
make it all line up neatly, with each department having numbers in a certain
range  (1xx for management, 2xx for purchasing, 3xx for sales, 4xx for IT,
5xx for shop floor, 8xx as short codes for direct access to selected external
numbers from phones that shouldn't normally have access to outside lines but
still need to call certain numbers occasionally)  and so forth.

But then, once you have invested considerable time and effort devising a plan
for allocating numbers, somebody "On High" inevitably makes a decision that
ruins the whole thing.

--
AJS

Answers come *after* questions.