[asterisk-users] benefits of asterisk 1.8

Hans Witvliet hwit at a-domani.nl
Fri Jun 3 16:41:14 CDT 2011

On Fri, 2011-06-03 at 09:07 +0100, Ishfaq Malik wrote:
> Are you suggesting that there are no bugs in 1.4 or 1.6?

I presume that you are aware of the fact that it is impossible to prove
the absence of "bugs" in any piece of software....
You might not have detected them yet.
Furthermore behaviour that might have been coded on purpose, can be
considered "eroneously" some time later.

> Currently there seems to be a fear of 1.8. We're about to put it into
> production and yes, we've had issues with it, mostly due to the fact we
> use RealTime, but before you change anything it is always advisable to
> test the hell out of it.
>
> To anyone who is thinking of moving to 1.8 the question is not, 'is it
> stable?'. The question is, 'have I comprehensively tested it to show
> that it is suitable for my needs?'

If you put it into production, test at least the functions that you are
going to use. There might (and probably will) problems in the code, but
as long as it does not bother you, so what?

And don't stop testing after you put it into production: have a shadow
system (with representative configuration).
According to Murphy, side-effects will probably rise to the survice
after going into production....
End-users will come up with situations you never enticipated in your
worst nightmares.