[asterisk-users] benefits of asterisk 1.8

Satish Barot satish4asterisk at gmail.com
Fri Jun 3 04:06:59 CDT 2011

If 1.8 doesn't panic for subset of PBX features for someone, you can not say
it is stable. You should also look at other

features and how they work with 1.8.

I didn't say 1.4 or 1.6 have no bugs or issues. When there were 1.4 or 1.6.0
branches, they did have bugs. But since people

started submitting bug reports, they have become quite stable. They don't
get crashed as frequently as 1.8 for the same set

of features(You can check it on issues.asterisk.org). When I said 'Asterisk
1.8 is not stable ENOUGH', I didn't mean

'Asterisk 1.8 is not stable AT ALL'.There are still some feature
functionalities which work perfactaly on 1.4 or 1.6, create

some panic on 1.8. I would consider 1.8 stable enough when anything which
worked on 1.4 or 1.6, also work on 1.8. And I am

optimistic about 1.8 being stable enough shortly.

Let us not start a war on 1.8 stability issue. There were enough threads on
1.8 being production safe in last couple of

months.Mine was just a user experience and personal view shared with
somebody else.

[SATISH]