[asterisk-users] Free CNAM

Pascal Bruno tipascal at gmail.com
Thu Jun 2 12:19:33 CDT 2011

If you can use curl, and can do some text parsing and know regular
expressions, you may be able to use this free CNAM service:
http://www.numberguru.com/ and integrate into your system.  This one appears
to have a more complete database.  When I tried my number, I have gotten my
full name, but when I use the FreeCNAM project below, I just get Florida.

On Wed, Jun 1, 2011 at 8:11 AM, Michael R. Wally
<michael.r.wally at gmail.com>wrote:

> I've been toying around with the idea of starting some kind of 'Open CNAM'
> project to destroy the current money hustle BS that dominates this industry.
>  The ever-growing FreeCNAM database may be a good starting point for such a
> project.
>
> I would also like to use Bitcoin (BTC) as the micropayment solution for
> user-requested updates.  Some nominal fee.
>
> If anyone wants to get involved, contact me.
>

> On 06/01/2011 07:51 AM, Skyler wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>>  The junk in CNAM databases like "FLORIDA", "ONTARIO" etc. is IMO the
>> carrier's way to isolate their users and another excuse to charge more
>> money
>> for 'the better plan'. In the end, it's the carrier that inputs the info
>> so
>> if it shows "FLORIDA" with one database I can't see how any other database
>> would be different as the carrier is the only one that controls the
>> outbound
>> CID info. Calling me from POTS to snatch the CID will result in the same.
>>
>> ...unless there were a user friendly CNAM service, where info could be
>> updated by the end-user and queried freely by voip providers. I would
>> update
>> my cellular numbers for sure and know at least a dozen people that would
>> do
>> the same. Everyone is going VoIP so why not?
>>
>>  Talking about 'where's the money or angle'... here is one, vanity. Charge
>> $1/yr to a user per DID, if I don't renew then delete it and re-query the
>> original carrier.
>>

>> S.
>>

> --

Pascal B.