[asterisk-users] Free CNAM

Skyler skchopperguy at gmail.com
Wed Jun 1 06:51:37 CDT 2011

Hi,

 The junk in CNAM databases like "FLORIDA", "ONTARIO" etc. is IMO the
carrier's way to isolate their users and another excuse to charge more money
for 'the better plan'. In the end, it's the carrier that inputs the info so
if it shows "FLORIDA" with one database I can't see how any other database
would be different as the carrier is the only one that controls the outbound
CID info. Calling me from POTS to snatch the CID will result in the same.

...unless there were a user friendly CNAM service, where info could be
updated by the end-user and queried freely by voip providers. I would update
my cellular numbers for sure and know at least a dozen people that would do
the same. Everyone is going VoIP so why not?

 Talking about 'where's the money or angle'... here is one, vanity. Charge
$1/yr to a user per DID, if I don't renew then delete it and re-query the
original carrier.

S.