[asterisk-users] Asterisk SIP authentication against [section] instead of username

Leandro Dardini ldardini at gmail.com
Fri Jul 29 04:56:21 CDT 2011

Hello,
Asterisk seems to try to authenticate incoming INVITE based on the [section]
in sip.conf and not the username specified.

I just removed the "insecure" option from my sip.conf requesting every
connection to be authenticated. I added the match_auth_username=yes in the
[general] section for extra security. To make it work, I have to use the
same [section] identifier as username. This is really bad because if
multiple provider are giving me the same username, it doesn't work.

If I put the following data in sip.conf, it doesn't work. Asterisk return
the following error:

[2011-07-29 04:55:30] WARNING[9971]: chan_sip.c:13205 check_auth: username
mismatch, have <GoodProvider>, digest has <myusername>

[GoodProvider]
username=myusername
auth=myusername
defaultuser=myusername
secret=verydifficultpass
type=friend
host=pbx.goodprovider.com
canreinvite=No
dtmfmode=rfc2833
context=from-outside
accountcode=GoodProvider
disallow=all
allow=ulaw

If I put the following data in sip.conf, it does work:

[myusername]
username=myusername
auth=myusername
defaultuser=myusername
secret=verydifficultpass
type=friend
host=pbx.goodprovider.com
canreinvite=No
dtmfmode=rfc2833
context=from-outside
accountcode=GoodProvider
disallow=all
allow=ulaw

I check the INVITE from the "GoodProvider" and it is sending "myusername"

Am I doing something wrong or is really asterisk checking the wrong section?

Leandro