[asterisk-users] Why no traction for Windows version?

Tim Nelson tnelson at rockbochs.com
Thu Jul 28 13:09:26 CDT 2011

----- Original Message -----
> On Thu, 28 Jul 2011 12:46:03 -0500, "Danny Nicholas"
> <danny at debsinc.com> wrote:
> >Interrupting - you have to not use DAHDI (SIP Only) and make sure you
> >have
> >the necessary libs downloaded in your Cygwin install.
>
> It's OK, I don't mind using a VoIP gateway instead of a PCI card. Has
> someone written an HOWTO to compile 1.4 or 1.6 for Windows?
>
> Does it require patching to Asterisk and/or libraries, or does Cygwin
> handles the whole thing?

Here's a question I must ask...

Why do people want to run Asterisk on Windows? Typically, the person knows the Windows environment better. However, that doesn't mean that simply by running on Windows Asterisk will be easier to manage. It is still run via console, editing text files, etc. In reality, it seems more work and headache to run this on a non-supported platform when you're really not gaining anything. AND, this doesn't even include the whole Linux vs. Windows argument.

Yes, yes I understand the whole 'its open source I want to do whatever I want with it' argument. Fine. But why take that attitude about Asterisk, only to amputate it by running on a non-open-source platform?

Kids these days... :)

--Tim