[asterisk-users] Lightning and thunder (Claude Hayn

Claude Hayn chayn123 at gmail.com
Wed Jul 27 13:41:57 CDT 2011

Thank you all for your replies.

I am just starting to use message boards and really appreciate the fact that
people jump in an effort to help.

As I'm learning, I'm hopeful to be able to help other folks down the road.

Judging by the responses I should have provided more details, including the
fact that I'm a novice.

This implementation is quite old (and they will not spring for anything
new).

The UPS is not capable of writing to anything so that would not help.

The office manager freaks out each time and starts randomly rebooting
devices in no particular order including the UPS, PBX, Asterisk Gateway,
firewall and router.

I suspect the overall issue is related to the reboot timing difference
between the PBX and asterisk box.

Kevin, thank you for your reply.

I'm not sure where to look, but would like to address the cause.  Would you
have any specific ideas as to what to look at/for?

Someone mentioned that the Asterisk Gateway might need to be the clock.
Does this make sense?  Could this be considered a cause?

Robert, thank you for your answer.

Given my limited ability to discern issues/causes this is along the lines of
what I had in mind.

I was thinking that something that would reboot the Asterisk Gateway
approximately 5 min. after power returned, giving the old/tired PBX time to
fully reboot would solve the issue.

I was further trying to understand how to keep this from perpetually
rebooting the asterisk Gateway every 5 min. and how to have it happen
automatically just once after a power outage.

My understanding is that your concept would work once if the flag was
thrown.  I'm not sure how to address the fact that I would not know the
power outage occurred so that reboot would be automatic the second time.

Again, thank you all for responding,

Claude