[asterisk-users] Securing Asterisk - How to avoid sending, "SIP/2.0 603 Declined"

Bruce B bruceb444 at gmail.com
Fri Jul 22 22:48:51 CDT 2011

Thanks again for the depth of knowledge you are offering.

So, I am taking a pass on the firewall since it won't do what I need but I
understand that it can do country block etc...thought not a full proof
still.

I am really not worried about DoS or more importantly DDoS as I have no hope
those can be prevented anyhow....been hit by one on a pfSense router and it
was just absorb as much as you can.

I like the different port idea though with the current scattered ATAs and
SIP phones it's unpractical for me to ask them all to change to a random
port.

Quote,* "How do the users register to begin with, if their REGISTER requests
won't be processed unless their IP is already known to be a registrant?
 :-)"*

Well, unfortunately I don't have the luxury of knowing their IP and the
closest I know is their IP range.

But I guess this is what is as I have seen big providers also return back
DECLINED from their gateways if one is not on their authorized list.

So, my final questions:

1- So, you are saying that either of OpenSER/Kamailio/OpenSIPS actually give
me the full capability to the SIP stack to do the sort of thing I was asking
for? And this can run on the same server as Asterisk is running?

Thanks a bunch