[asterisk-users] use dahdi for local terminal modem access?

Lyle Giese lyle at lcrcomputer.net
Fri Jul 22 19:07:23 CDT 2011

On 07/22/11 18:13, William Stillwell wrote:
> I have some terminals that have phone lines.
>
> One of my tech had an idea of using IAXmodem or something similar to use
> existing PRI/DAHDI Trucks for dial out via the asterisk/Linux console.
>
> Anybody ever heard of doing this?
>
> I would think maybe would use iaxmodem maybe and a shell terminal app?
>
> (basically I’m dialing into a remote access device that uses a pots like
> for remote administration, and don’t want to string a channel bank off
> my asterisk box, and a hook to a modem)
>

> --

Depends on your expectation.  Because of compression in the codecs, it
will be hard to get fast dialup.  If you mean ssh or telnet, it might
work.  If you mean vnc or RDP over this, you may not get enough usable
bandwidth to do that.

Given this, I have in an emergency dialed into a RAS server via a VoIP
line. My laptop connected at 14,400bps.  All I needed to do was telnet
into an APC masterswitch to toggle power on one outlet.  It worked.

I was surprised at getting a 14,400bps connect.  I was not expecting
that high and really did not need that high.  300 baud probably would
have been fast enough to telnet into an APC masterswitch.

Lyle Giese
LCR Computer Services, Inc.