[asterisk-users] FAX with SIP

Larry Moore lmoore at starwon.com.au
Fri Jul 22 04:08:16 CDT 2011

On 22/07/2011 5:43 AM, Israel Gottlieb wrote:

> On Fri, Jul 22, 2011 at 12:39 AM, Kevin P. Fleming
> <kpfleming at digium.com <mailto:kpfleming at digium.com>> wrote:
>
>     On 07/21/2011 04:34 PM, Joaquin Sosa wrote:
>
>         On Mon, Jul 18, 2011 at 07:58, Steve
>         Davies<davies147 at gmail.com <mailto:davies147 at gmail.com>>  wrote:
>
>             The magic sauce that you need is "T.38" - Asterisk 1.6
>             supports this
>             to a limited degree, and your ITSP will need to support it.
>
>             The sip.conf.sample file and the voip-info wiki has all the
>             information you need to try it out.
>

>         Correct. However it would be helpful to note T.38 support in
>         Asterisk
>         is broken. Take a T.38 ITSP, T.38 enabled Asterisk and T.38
>         ATA and
>         try to send a fax. It won't work!
>

>     We do this in our testing all the time, and it works fine. Since
>     you didn't specify any particular version of Asterisk, there's no
>     way to associate your "It won't work" statement with anything in
>     particular. Given the variations of T.38 implementations that
>     exist in ATAs, carrier networks and other places, *any* T.38
>     connection that involves implementations from more than one vendor
>     is (unfortunately) likely to have problems, whether any version of
>     Asterisk is involved or not
>

> well I tried  a linksys spa 8000 and 2102 thru
> asterisk 1.8.3
> 1.8.4
> 1.6.2.16-19
> sonus switch at itsp (012 israel)
>
> and no luck

Cisco released updated firmware earlier this year for the SPA8000 &
SPA2102 which addresses T.38 problems.

I have an SPA8800 which I was able to use T.38 mode to send faxes
successfully, I recently updated Asterisk box and also updated to 1.8.5,
haven't tested the SPA8800 with this config but I am expecting it will
still work. The key to my success was to ensure the SPA8800 did not do a
re-invite to the ISP for the RTP stream.

Larry.