[asterisk-users] [Fwd: Re: Strange network issue]

Ishfaq Malik ish at pack-net.co.uk
Fri Jul 22 03:57:22 CDT 2011

-------- Forwarded Message --------
From: Ishfaq Malik <ish at pack-net.co.uk>
To: Mike Diehl <mdiehl at diehlnet.com>
Subject: Re: [asterisk-users] Strange network issue
Date: Fri, 22 Jul 2011 09:55:53 +0100

On Fri, 2011-07-22 at 02:53 -0600, Mike Diehl wrote:
> On Friday 22 July 2011 2:42:12 am Ishfaq Malik wrote:

> > > No, the phones are in a different city than the servers and connected via
> > > the Internet.
> > >
> > > The users probably aren't sophisticated enough to be running a scheduled
> > > backup... <wink>
> >
> > Are the phones on the same LAN as the * or is the * somewhere else on
> > the net?
> >
> > Is the * using DADHI or SIP to dial in/out?
>
> Different LAN/NET and no DADHI.

Would you be able to use a diagnostic utility such as smokeping to
monitor the DSL connection that the phones are connected to? If not
maybe just even do a trace route to the IP of the connection of the
phones and see if you notice and sudden drops in latency or packet loss
around 7. I'm just wondering if it's some sort of DSL contention issue
or if the ISP is doing any traffic shaping exercises at that time...

Oops! been sending replied off list!

--
Ishfaq Malik
Software Developer