[asterisk-users] FAX with SIP

Kevin P. Fleming kpfleming at digium.com
Thu Jul 21 16:39:44 CDT 2011

On 07/21/2011 04:34 PM, Joaquin Sosa wrote:
> On Mon, Jul 18, 2011 at 07:58, Steve Davies<davies147 at gmail.com>  wrote:
>> The magic sauce that you need is "T.38" - Asterisk 1.6 supports this
>> to a limited degree, and your ITSP will need to support it.
>>
>> The sip.conf.sample file and the voip-info wiki has all the
>> information you need to try it out.
>>

> Correct. However it would be helpful to note T.38 support in Asterisk
> is broken. Take a T.38 ITSP, T.38 enabled Asterisk and T.38 ATA and
> try to send a fax. It won't work!

We do this in our testing all the time, and it works fine. Since you
didn't specify any particular version of Asterisk, there's no way to
associate your "It won't work" statement with anything in particular.
Given the variations of T.38 implementations that exist in ATAs, carrier
networks and other places, *any* T.38 connection that involves
implementations from more than one vendor is (unfortunately) likely to
have problems, whether any version of Asterisk is involved or not.

--
Kevin P. Fleming