[asterisk-users] My Asterisk Box was hacked

Захаров Антон instnt at mail.ru
Thu Jul 21 00:59:49 CDT 2011

Hello!

First of all, you should disable unused VoIP protocols. Than remove all
guest accounts from used protocols, disable guest unauth access.
Always use strong passwords for accounts, for users on your system.
Passwords shouldn't be eq username. Move port binds on LAN network for
all active services as much as you can (i.e. SHH should be on WAN too I
think).
Use iptables for blocking password bruteforce. Try to install fail2ban
with jails for asterisk, ssh, HTTP and other public services. Then you
can try to install PSAD (port scan autodetect) to prevent attacks.
And never use default context in asterisk for word calls directions.
And you should always keep your software up to date. There much more
security issues than you think.

Good Luck!