[asterisk-users] Multiple Asterisk Sessions on same machine

Kevin P. Fleming kpfleming at digium.com
Tue Jul 19 16:36:38 CDT 2011

On 07/19/2011 04:33 PM, Thorolf Godawa wrote:
> Hi,
>
>> so is it possible to install a separate instance of Asterisk on the same
>> machine (without using Vmware or such) and set the 2nd instance to
>> listen on another port?
> you might try it with Xen as virtualisation solution, because especially
> when using it with Linux as paravirtualised guest, it has very little
> overhead.
>
> Depending on the number of accounts and calls you might run into issues
> with latency and so on, but on a small environement with two Xen guest
> instances, each with one Asterisk, it runs quite good.
>
> KVM also might work, but I have no experience with that.

Virtualization is a substantial amount of overkill for this problem,
since there aren't any resources that need to be duplicated between the
two Asterisk instances (and in fact based on the original post the
poster does want the calls all going into a single Asterisk dialplan,
just via different ports).

The lightest weight solution for this problem is a stateless SIP proxy.

--
Kevin P. Fleming