[asterisk-users] a=sendonly Music On Hold ignored

Michael voip.question at gmail.com
Tue Jul 19 13:00:55 CDT 2011

On Tue, Jul 19, 2011 at 3:46 PM, Matthew J. Roth <mroth at imminc.com> wrote:

> Michael,
>
> Here are the differences between the systems that I determined from the two
> SIP traces:
>
> * Working system:  no NAT, phone codec: G.729, Asterisk codec: G.729
> * Non-working system: NAT, phone codec: G.729, Asterisk codec: A-law

True. In the working system, LAN calls are also using G.729, while in the
non-working system, LAN calls are in G.711 (supported but not prioritized by
the phones) and only the SIP trunk to the ITSP is set to G.729.

> Does the conversation have two-way audio prior to the hold? If it doesn't,
> your problem may be caused by NAT and/or codec transcoding.

Thr call is fine prior to the HOLD.

> NAT is notorious for causing one-way audio and transcoding G.729 requires a
> commercial license from Digium.

G.729 licenses have been purchased from Digium and installed. We tested with
NAT set to "no" and "yes" and neither settings mattered.

> After those two possible causes are ruled out, the only other thing that I
> can think of is a missing format translation path for the music-on-hold
> files.  Does the AsteriskNOW system have modules loaded for both formats?

It should. How do we check this?

>   I don't use either format, but I believe the required modules are
> "format_g729.so" and  "format_pcm.so".

Thanks.