[asterisk-users] Redirecting call from one E1 to another?

Tony Mountifield tony at softins.co.uk
Fri Jul 15 05:11:42 CDT 2011

I'd be grateful if anyone here could comment knowledgeably on an idea
that I have had, as to whether it should be possible or not.

Consider two Asterisk boxes, each with one or more E1s on EuroISDN.
Each box has a different telephone number that hunts across all its
E1 channels. In addition there is another number that hunts across
all the channels on all the boxes.

A call comes in to one of the boxes and is answered. After some
interaction with the caller, the box decides that the call needs
to be handled by the other box.

I don't want just to relay the call through to the second box using
IAX or SIP or an additional PSTN channel. What I would like to do is
to redirect the call in the PSTN so that it ends up connected only to
the second box. That is why each box would have its own telephone
number as well as the global access number for all boxes.

Obviously, as well as the ability to redirect the call transparently
to a channel on the second box, I also need the second box to be able
to identify that this call is redirected, and not a fresh call from
outside. Presumably I sould use CLI in some way, and/or perhaps
USERUSERINFO.

Is the above possible using ISDN? If not, would it be possible using
SS7? Is SS7 support still active in Asterisk?

Any insight would be appreciated!

Cheers
Tony

--