[asterisk-users] Benchmarking AGI performance in C, PHP, and Perl

Matthew J. Roth mroth at imminc.com
Tue Jul 12 11:40:00 CDT 2011

Tzafrir Cohen wrote:

> Well, there are a number of separate optimizations in systemd:
>
> 1. Delayed loading of services (or even not loading them at all, if not
>    needed. E.g.: don't load CUPS if nobody needs it.
>
> 2. Paralelized loading of services (though there have been other
>    implemtnations of that. SuSE has had that for years: insserv).
>
> 3. Rewriting some scripts in C. Also note that udev has been going
>    through this for quite some time as well.
>
> 4. A nice facility to get the timing information and show where the
>    actual bottlenecks are.

Tzafrir,

I kind of suspected that the init scripts weren't a great example because
of systemd.  It's already in Fedora 15, but I have to plead ignorance to
its implementation.  I thought it still used text-based service files, but
I'm only familiar with it from reading the large number of posts it has
generated on the Fedora users list.  That's actually started to settle
down and Gnome 3 has emerged as the new whipping boy.  Since systemd
has been proposed as a dependency of Gnome 3, this has the potential to
create singularity that will destroy the universe.  ; )

Personally, I'm not really excited about any of the optimizations that you
listed.  I can manage which services are started and the Linux boot
sequence is pretty fast already.  It's far quicker than the serial
initialization of hardware that our servers go through at each boot.  So
for my use case, it can still be cited as an example of optimizing the
wrong thing.  In the long run, it's likely to save me very little time
compared to the amount of time spent learning the new system.  I'm sure it
has its benefits and I'll come to appreciate them over time, but SysV init
ain't broke (for me) so I'm not looking forward to fixing it.

Regards,

Matthew Roth
InterMedia Marketing Solutions
Software Engineer and Systems Developer