[asterisk-users] skype for asterisk usage in the future

Kevin P. Fleming kpfleming at digium.com
Tue Jul 12 07:26:01 CDT 2011

On 07/11/2011 09:48 PM, d tbsky wrote:

> 1. SFA can not be registered after 26 July. so I want to prepare a
> backup machine for our server. I read in the document that I can
> re-register my SFA once. so I want to make sure if I can re-register with
> my backup server now, and in the same time my production machine still
> function correctly. and if my production machine is broken one day, my
> backup machine can go on line. in short: can I keep two machines with one
> license now? I hope so because I can not re-register later after 26 July.

Yes, this is acceptable.

>    2. I saw SFA will not be supported after two years. my question is:
> although it is not supported, can I still use it? I want to buy more
> licenses now if I can still use it after two years even without official
> support.

It is unknown whether it will continue to be usable after that period;
Skype has the ability to disable SFA from accessing the Skype network if
they feel that is what they want to do. Since it won't get any updates
between now and then, it is very likely to be obsolete (from a 'Skype
protocol' point of view) in two years and it seems quite likely that
they won't want it accessing the network any more. It would be best to
plan for it being non-functional after the two year support period is over.

--
Kevin P. Fleming