[asterisk-users] OT: Google Plus

Steve Davies davies147 at gmail.com
Sun Jul 10 04:07:34 CDT 2011

On Saturday, 9 July 2011, Gordon Henderson <gordon+asterisk at drogon.net> wrote:
> On Sat, 9 Jul 2011, Steve Davies wrote:
>

> On 9 July 2011 12:34, randulo <randulo at randulo.com> wrote:
>
> Go ahead and lambast me for this post, it isn't specific to Asterisk, but:
>
> G+ has only been open at all for a week and I already am chatting with
> over 200 people who are into VoIP, Asterisk and all the rest of the
> stuff we here care about. If you don't care or are anti-social, fine.
> But you owe it to yourself to check it, because a lot of cool VoIP
> people are there and after all, Google themselves  are doing some
> great stuff with VoIP, XMPP and video, and steadily moving towards
> open source. Come drink the Kool-Aid!
>

> Can you suggest a good way of finding/following appropriate
> VoIP/Asterisk people once on Google+? How do you then group them? Just
> in a Circle, or some other mechanism?
>

> I've just created a "VoIPy" circle - So I can then invite people I know into the circle by email address, and/or looking at someone else's circles and seing if they have something relevant in their summary tag and adding them into your own circle... (Or using their people search - e.g. for 'randulo' :)
>
> You can have people in more than one circle. Right now, it's a bit like a media-rich version of twitter with excellent filtering (the circles). I don't have camera/microphone/speakers on my PC, (got real desk SIP phones!) so haven't tried the audio/video chat yet, but the typing "instant messaging" type chat works just fine.
>
> I think Google are still slowly gating people into + though. I did have some invites, but seem to have used them all up now (google didn't tell me how many, the "invite" button just went away after a while!)
>
> I'd love to see SIP integration into it, so I can use my existing SIP toys with it.
>
> Gordon

Thanks for that Gordon. What appears to be missing at the moment is
the ability to interface or collaborate with a group of 'strangers'.

It would be good if there were a way to broadcast a 'we're here, come
join us' to bring a group of VoIP people together, a bit like an IRC
channel name can do, or a Facebook fan page.

I thought that sparks might cover that, but I'm not entirely sure how
sparks work yet.

I agree that SIP integration would be great. I think it'll be a while
yet but if anyone will allow it, it'll be Google.

Cheers,
Steve