[asterisk-users] How to create a module

Steve Murphy murf at parsetree.com
Fri Jul 8 12:26:07 CDT 2011

On Fri, Jul 8, 2011 at 10:39 AM, Adrian Abramovich <
adrianabramovich at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> We are using asterisk 1.4 and we use a Perl script to record some specific
> calls. As far, everything is working well.
> I was thinking about create a module in order to improve script's
> performance.
> I checked the Russell's blog:
>
> http://www.russellbryant.net/blog/2008/06/19/how-to-write-an-asterisk-module-part-1/
> This is a old post and I would like to know if there are something new.

What I do, is look at the other apps/funcs for guidance. Pick the smallest
first,
and you can copy their style and layout. The module spec has evolved from
1.4
to 1.6 to 1.8, but it's the same basics (to a degree).

> Is it a good idea to move to module?

If it increases performance, and you need that, then heck yes! The only
drawback is that
it *is* in the source; you'll have to tweak it as you move up the versions.
You have to compile
and install it. Perl would remain static (I would imagine) even when you
update asterisk.

> Thanks in advance,
>
> Adrian Abramovich
>

> --