[asterisk-users] Anybody doing PRI over IP?

Tim Nelson tnelson at rockbochs.com
Thu Jul 7 15:48:36 CDT 2011

----- Original Message -----
> A carrier I like will be introducing PRI over IP, presumably going
> thru some sort of gateway box (I'm guessing by Adtran but no data
> yet). Has anybody set up successfully to work directly with such a
> feed without bothering to take it down to T1 and use a T1/PRI card?

Since you're getting this delivered via IP, I assume you already have 'Internet connectivity' of some sort. So, this "PRI over IP" is likely for voice? In most instances, this just means the carrier is giving you 23 simultaneous channels (or fractional) of VoIP connectivity and calling it a "PRI" for marketing speak. Some examples:

http://www.ipcomms.net/html/package-virtualt1.html
http://www.didlive.com/virtual_t1.htm

I'm not saying this is a bad thing, just that it really isn't anything 'groundbreaking' or 'special'.

I *have* used such a service before. In one case, the 'virtual PRI' was terminated to me via SIP via my Asterisk PBX box. In another instance, it was handed off via SIP to a Cisco gateway which presented a standard PRI port to the customer PBX equipment.

In either case, the general idea is that you already have IP transport, this is for voice, and the channels are provided by SIP. Your termination equipment could likely be anything that handles SIP.

If this turns out to be something *not* disguised as just "SIP in X number of channels form", I'd be interested to hear details. Maybe some sort of TDMoIP service?

--Tim