[asterisk-users] Load Balance Trunks

Bryant Zimmerman BryantZ at zktech.com
Fri Jul 1 08:58:48 CDT 2011

 From: "Abid Saleem" <abid_asterisk at hotmail.com>
Sent: Friday, July 01, 2011 9:49 AM
To: "Users List" <asterisk-users at lists.digium.com>
Subject: Re: [asterisk-users] Load Balance Trunks

 Dear Steve Edward,
 I appreciate your response and help. Here are the answers inline to your
questions. Please help me in writing an AGI script or whatever required if
you can as I am not a programmer.
 Is your intent to 'load balance' between 100 trunks or will you fill up  >
one before moving on to the next? Can unused capacity be 'rolled over' to
> the next day? Abid -> The intention is to load balance between 100 or
even more trunks. Filling up one trunk may have another problem because we
have another restriction on 5 simultaneous calls per trunk. Yes unused
capacity can be rolled over to the next day. Anything is fine that does not
break these two restrictions of 120 mins/day/trunk and 5 simultaneous
calls/trunk.   > What happens if you 'go over?' Will the call in flight be
terminated? Will  > the next origination fail? Will you get a nasty rate
spike? Abid -> If we go over, the call will not be terminated nor the next
origination will fail nor we will get nasty rate spike but they will send
us warnings and then finally block our trunks.

abod -> Another solution would be to use call groups. You could create a
load balancer that increments the group everytime a call is sent to a trunk
when the call attempt clears the group is decremented. Check your counts
and use the first trunk that is not saturated. It is a very lowtech soltion
and would require some planning on how you want your roll over to occure
but it would work and you would not have to use any agi or database tech if
you did not want to.