[asterisk-users] Reducing number of Asterisk processes?

Gilles codecomplete at free.fr
Sun Jan 30 14:07:05 CST 2011

On Sun, 30 Jan 2011 12:11:30 -0600, Tilghman Lesher
<tilghman at meg.abyt.es> wrote:
>By the way, you are likely to have trouble running Asterisk on uClinux,
>anyway.  There are a lot of assumptions in the code related to fork(2)
>creating a separate address space.  As this is not true with vfork(2),
>there are parts of Asterisk that will mysteriously fail.  Unless you are
>comfortable delving into the C code and working on these issues, uClinux
>will probably never be an appropriate system for you with which to run
>Asterisk.

Apparently, that version of Asterisk originally comes from the OpenWrt
world, and includes a bunch of patches applied to the Asterisk source
code before compiling it into a package.
Since it's part of the official firmware provided by the manufacturer,
I guess it's been reworked to run OK in that restricted environment.

I do, intend, though, to find some kind of watchdog to monitor
processes and memory, and restart them if necessary.

Thanks for pointing this out.