[asterisk-users] res_fax

Kevin P. Fleming kpfleming at digium.com
Wed Jan 26 13:24:57 CST 2011

On 01/26/2011 01:21 PM, Tom Rymes wrote:
> On 01/26/2011 2:16 PM, Kevin P. Fleming wrote:
>> On 01/26/2011 01:12 PM, Tom Rymes wrote:
>>> On 01/26/2011 1:49 PM, Kevin P. Fleming wrote:
>
> <snip>
>
>>> Am I correct to infer that using app_fax.so is no longer recommended and
>>> that res_fax.so with res_fax_spandsp.so -OR- res_fax_digium.so is now
>>> the way to go?
>>
>> That is correct. app_fax is deprecated (and that is why it is marked as
>> "don't build" by default), and res_fax plus a technology module
>> (res_fax_spandsp or res_fax_digium) is the replacement for it. All of
>> the work that the Digium team has done improving T.38 negotiation and
>> interoperability has gone into res_fax, not app_fax. Users of Asterisk
>> 1.8.x should only choose to build app_fax if they have a specific need
>> for it (and if that's the case we'd like to know what the need is so we
>> can ensure that res_fax can satisfy it). Users of older Asterisk
>> releases will have app_fax by default (since res_fax was not included in
>> those versions), but if they want to use Digium's res_fax_digium module
>> they can download it along with res_fax and use them instead.
>
> Gotcha. So, 1.6 users who install FFA get res_fax and res_fax_digium.
> Presumably, 1.6 users could also combine res_fax and res_fax_spandsp?
>
> Steve - Will compiling the latest version of SpanDSP on a 1.6 system
> result in a res_fax_spandsp.so module?

No, res_fax_spandsp is not part of SpanDSP (but it uses SpanDSP), and we
don't distribute an Asterisk 1.6.x version of res_fax_spandsp.c. It
wouldn't be hard for someone to make one, though, and the res_fax binary
module download does include res_fax.h so it is possible to compile
against it if they wanted to do so.

--
Kevin P. Fleming
skype: kpfleming | jabber: kfleming at digium.com