[asterisk-users] ReceiveFAX issue.

Danny Nicholas danny at debsinc.com
Wed Jan 26 09:21:51 CST 2011

-----Original Message-----
From: asterisk-users-bounces at lists.digium.com
[mailto:asterisk-users-bounces at lists.digium.com] On Behalf Of Benny Amorsen
Sent: Wednesday, January 26, 2011 9:12 AM
To: David Backeberg
Subject: Re: [asterisk-users] ReceiveFAX issue.

David Backeberg <dbackeberg at gmail.com> writes:

> So you're saying if you turn off t38 in sip.conf, you receive faxes
> successfully?
>
> Problem solved. Don't use T.38 in your particular environment.

That is not particularly useful advice. Fax over VoIP without T.38 is
inherently unreliable except in very controlled environments. That a few
faxes happen to work does not make T.38 a bad choice.

It is in the interest of the Asterisk community to fix whichever
bug/incompatibility Bryant Zimmerman is hitting. Of course in reality no
one with the right skills may have the time to do so. Again, that does
not make the problem "solved".

/Benny

Maybe it's just me, but it seems that Fax over VOIP is "almost a step back"
and that T.38 is an excruciatingly painful venture down that path.  The
skills here run the entire gamut from "just over pushing buttons on a
calculator" to "Space Shuttle Engineers".  The "problem solved" answer is
somewhat flippant, but T.38 Faxing is a small but vocal segment of the
posters here.

It would be nice to have a universally proven Faxing solution for Asterisk
in all flavors/technologies, but I'm not holding my breath on that one.