[asterisk-users] U-verse DTMF tuning for Zaptel

Ian Pilcher arequipeno at gmail.com
Mon Jan 24 16:18:27 CST 2011

On 01/24/2011 03:54 PM, David Backeberg wrote:

> Well, I would say more data samples are needed then. It could
> certainly be the boss's uverse connection and not other uverse
> connections.

Have you ruled out a problem on the U-Verse side?  In particular, do
U-Verse customers only experience this problem with your client's
system?

I assume than any cable- or IP-based telephony provider is using some-
thing very much like an ATA to connect their customer's analog phones
to their digital network.  If they're compressing the audio stream,
they can't use in-band DTMF, so the "ATA" has to listen to the audio,
attempt to recognize DTMF and send it on via SIP, AVT, etc.  As I found
out with the PAP2T in my home office, it's hard to get this 100% right.

If the DTMF is being missed on the U-Verse end and never sent to your
client, there's nothing that you can do.  (A recording should very
quickly establish whether or not this is the case.)