[asterisk-users] Asterisk on Debian Lenny with timerfd

RR ranjtech at gmail.com
Mon Jan 24 12:59:36 CST 2011

On Mon, Jan 24, 2011 at 1:50 PM, Dave Platt <dplatt at radagast.org> wrote:

> > In the meantime, does anyone have a nice way to update a stable/stock
> lenny
> > installation with the updated glibc as well as the latest kernel
>
> Scary and risky, as others have noted!
>
> There is an official "backports" release kit associated with Debian,
> which contains newer versions of many packages which have been
> back-ported to be mostly-drop-in-compatible with current Debian
> "stable" distribution.
>
> You can find information about it at
>
>        http://backports.debian.org/
>
> However, it does not appear to contain an updated release of
> glibc - likely for the reasons that other folks have alluded
> to (the stability risks outweigh the benefits).
>
> I suspect that unless you're willing to put a lot of blood,
> sweat, tears, and toil into the effort of getting the newer
> glibc into Lenny, you're either going to have to switch to
> the "testing" distribution (Squeeze) or wait until Squeeze
> is officially released as the new "stable" distribution

Thanks Dave. Yup, had checked out the backports (have that in my
sources.lst) so would've found that automatically through apt, and had also
visiually inspected the backports respository. Also, the blood, sweat, tears
and toil have already gone into it to get it all compiled and ready. The
only one thing that was left was that aptitude thought the dependencies and
packages were broken but even they are now resolved, so the system "looks"
good. Who knows how stable it'll be if a 100 concurrent calls are thrown on
to it. Once I can get comfortable in doing over-the-net clean installs
and/or understand how over-the-net / online upgrades occur in Debian (see
I'm a debian newbie) then I might test / architect my platform with Squeeze
in the lab and then upgrade the production machines to it when Squeeze is
RTM/"stable".

I know this is an {*} list but does anyone know if simply adding the Squeeze
repository to my sources.lst and running an 'aptitude
upgrade/safe-upgrade/full-upgrade" will just upgrade Lenny -> Squeeze
without me having to rebuild the system from scratch?