[asterisk-users] waitforsilence changed after upgrade to 1.6

Mike Diehl mdiehl at diehlnet.com
Fri Jan 21 15:48:50 CST 2011

Hi all.

I have a customer who does some automatic messaging.  Back when we were
running Asterisk 1.4.x, they used waitforsilence after amd, to wait for an
answering machine greeting to finish before leaving their message.  We've
upgraded to 1.6, and made no other changes and things don't work.

What we're seeing it that a call will get hung up, waiting for silence, well
after any sane greeting message would have finished.  Up to an hour!

I understand that waitforsilence take a 3rd parameter as a timeout, but all
that seems to do for us is keep a channel from staying up for over, say, 5
minutes.  We'd like to be able to start our message as soon as the greeting
is done.

Any suggestions?

TIA,
--