[asterisk-users] res_fax

Tom Rymes trymes at rymes.com
Fri Jan 21 06:37:33 CST 2011

On Jan 20, 2011, at 8:52 PM, Steve Underwood wrote:

> A comparison wouldn't be complete without mentioning Hylafax. Hylafax has a great infrastructure - tools for integrating with Windows clients, and so on. Neither spandsp or the Digium FAX code can match that for FAX termination. I think its biggest drawback is you either use it with iaxmodem for audio FAXing, or t38modem for T.38 FAXing. It can't smoothly integrate the two right now.

As a longtime Hylafax user, I can confirm it's an excellent solution. I am somewhat surprised about the comment of being able to do audio or t.38, but not both. This is probably a little true and untrue at the same time, though I have never used t.38modem with Hylafax.

Given the structure of the product, you could have HylaFAX connected to both an IAXModem and a T.38Modem at the same time (or 23 IAXModems, a 24-port T1/E1 PCI-card modem, and 7 t.38modems for that matter...). What it cannot do, is receive audio and t.38 on the same port, which is what I presume that Steve was referring to. This is really a limitation of IAXmodem and t.38modem, as one only handles audio, the other only handles t.38.

In other words, you could route t.38 faxes to it on port 1 and audio faxes on port2, but you cannot have port 1 handle both types.

Tom