[asterisk-users] OT - TTS in spanish

Danny Nicholas danny at debsinc.com
Thu Jan 20 09:39:46 CST 2011

  _____

From: asterisk-users-bounces at lists.digium.com
[mailto:asterisk-users-bounces at lists.digium.com] On Behalf Of Olivier
Sent: Thursday, January 20, 2011 9:35 AM
To: Asterisk Users Mailing List - Non-Commercial Discussion
Subject: [asterisk-users] OT - TTS in spanish

Hi,

For an organization welcoming turists (in France), I would be curious to
learn about successful use (with Asterisk) of Text-To-Speech in spanish (and
english).

I took a look at Cepstral's web site and saw there 2 "Americas Spanish"
voices (along a bunch of english voices).

1. In this context, according to your experience, is it acceptable to use an
"Americas Spanish" voice ?
2. Which TTS would you recommend ?

Regards

Just my .02 - unless you need a lot of "free form" responses, you would
probably be better off with a set of pre-recorded prompts.  Cepstral
actually has more than 2 Spanish voices if I recall correctly, but the end
result will sound "canned" because of the TTS engine.  For example, if you
take the standard Asterisk prompts recorded by Allison Smith and record them
using Cepstral-Allison the results will be significantly different.  The
"Good" news is that the tourists probably won't be too critical of the
quality either way.