[asterisk-users] Top Posting

Cary Fitch caryf at usawide.net
Thu Jan 20 03:05:55 CST 2011

> How amusing that you follow that statement by being too lazy to trim
> all of the irrelevant crud after your comment by pressing
> ctrl-shift-end followed by delete. It works in Outlook.
>
> Tom

This is the problem, everyone has a personal goal.  One side wants fast
replies at the top, with no interest in the repetitive, redundant
signature/disclaimers & content below.  The other wants total historical
readability or questions and answers in top to bottom readability in every
message.  And, this is a type of list that is used by 1000s of individuals,
not people from a single company.  We are just lucky we don't have someone
posting in sentences that read from right to left. :-)

Also most (all?) mail clients don't allow setting preferences based on the
source of the message.  I.E. Top post for email, bottom post for the cooking
list and bottom post for the Asterisk list.

And then almost no one trims anything no matter what their
preferences/beliefs are, and yells at others for top or bottom posting or
interleaving, usually while violating some other list rule or general net
etiquette.

How about just no quoting or only the actual last message you are replying
to?  The list doesn't require any quoting. Contribute your thoughts, and
leave it at that. Everyone has the previous posts on their computer, if they
don't know the history, let them go back and read.

Cary