[asterisk-users] Asterisk SlackBuilds for Slackware Linux

Jose P. Espinal jpe at slackware-es.com
Tue Jan 18 09:52:58 CST 2011

Hello List,

To whom it might concern:

I have been working in some SlackBuilds (script for making Slackware
Packages) for my personal use, but thought they might be useful for
someone else here.

Beside of the exceptional distributions used so far (CentOS, Debian,
Ubuntu, etc.), you might want to test Asterisk on a Slackware Linux box,
as it offers outstanding stability and flexibility as well.

I.  The scripts are located at:
http://packages.eslackware.com/slackbuilds/asterisk/

II. So far, they consist of the following:
    (Listed in recommended building order)

a. newt-SlackBuild.tar.gz
    NewT Libraries

b. libpri-SlackBuild.tar.gz
    LibPRI

c. libss7-SlackBuild.tar.gz
    LibSS7

d. dahdi_linux-SlackBuild.tar.gz
    DAHDI Linux

e. dahdi_tools-SlackBuild.tar.gz
    DAHDI Tools

f. unixODBC-SlackBuild.tar.gz
    UnixODBC (entire ODBC API, Drivers, and tools)

g. mysql_connector_odbc-SlackBuild.tar.gz
    Connector/ODBC (standardized database driver)

h. ptlib-SlackBuild.tar.gz
    PTLib (used be called PWLib), latest version

i. h323plus-SlackBuild.tar.gz
    H323 Plus (formerly known as OpenH323)

j. asterisk-SlackBuild.tar.gz
    Asterisk 1.4.XX

k. asterisk_addons-SlackBuild.tar.gz
    Asterisk Add-Ons

l. template-SlackBuild.tar.gz
    The SlackBuild template I use for this purposes.
    You might want to use it for something else.

III. Aditional notes:

About the scripts:
------------------

You can (and as a good security practice, always should) inspect the
scripts, and (if you want so) modify/add/remove parts to them in order
to fit your needs.

Everything has been tested in Slackware 13.0 and Slackware 13.1

About ODBC + MySQL Connector and Asterisk:

I needed this feature, but in case you don't, just don't compile/install
them and modify the Asterisk SlackBuild in order not enable it.

(Personally, I consider the Voicemail ODBC and func_odbc features
awesome, give them a try if you can ;) )

About H323 Plus and PTLib:
--------------------------

The SlackBuilds are written for the latest versions of both, even if
Asterisk (at least 1.4.XX) ask for older versions.

They compile and install just fine. Problems related to compiling
Asterisk using these latest versions were solved as well.

About Asterisk:
---------------

If you check the scripts, you will see that everything is as clean as
"./configure", "make", "make install", with some little exceptions in
this case:

1. The SlackBuild subtle modifies the configure script in order to make
it use your installed (no matter what it is) version of PTLib.

2. The chan_h323 driver is compiled by default (modify the script if you
don't want/need it)

3. ODBC support is compiled by default. (again, if you dont wan't/need
it, modify the script)

Special thanks to Paul Belanger, Tzafrir Cohen and the people at
#asterisk in Freenode.

PS.
I'm looking forward to make SlackBuilds for versions 1.6.X , 1.8.X and
Asterisk SCF. I'll publish them as soon as they are ready.

--
Jose P. Espinal
http://www.eSlackware.com