[asterisk-users] res_fax_digium.so crashing

Kevin P. Fleming kpfleming at digium.com
Tue Jan 18 08:02:20 CST 2011

On 01/16/2011 09:18 PM, Jeremy Kister wrote:
> On 1/16/2011 4:13 PM, Paul Belanger wrote:
>> I don't believe Digium is blind to its users: Users of Free Fax For
>> Asterisk are not entitled to any Digium technical support [1].
>
> I'm not looking for technical support; I'm just looking for a way to
> report a bug and possibly help debug/resolve it. But as you know,
> Digium's website gives FFA users no clear to contact them - even to
> report problems. issues.asterisk.org has no selection for res_fax_digium
> since it is not bundled with Asterisk. I call that willful blindness.
>
> Don't get me wrong, I'm grateful for FFA and Asterisk in general - I
> have several running 1.8.2 working correctly.
>
>> Alternatively, you can generating an unoptimized backtrace [2] and
>> posting the results to the mailing list, seeing if any member of the
>> community has also had an issue.
>
> I didnt expect anyone on this list to be interested, but I suppose
> you're right.
>
> This weekend, i set up a new system running Asterisk 1.8.2 on Debian
> 5.0.7 where the benchmark told me to use
> res_fax_digium-1.8.0_1.2.1-core2_32 (i also tried generic_32 but that
> crashed as well).
>
> Asterisk correctly detects the fax and transfers to the fax context. But
> moments after ReceiveFax is called, asterisk crashes, with no tif
> written where I've directed it to.
>
> I have several files including backtraces and config files at
> http://jeremy.kister.net/tmp/fax/

We have determined the cause of this problem; I'm sorry to say it's an
incompatibility between releases that wasn't caught before the releases
were made.

res_fax.c in Asterisk 1.8.2 contains some changes that make it
incompatible with res_fax_digium modules compiled for Asterisk 1.8.0 and
1.8.1, which is what is causing this problem. For now, the
res_fax_digium 1.2.x modules are only usable with Asterisk 1.8.0 and
1.8.1; there is a res_fax_digium 1.3.0 release currently being tested
for release that is compatible with Asterisk 1.8.2 and later. We'll try
to get it out as quickly as we can, and also update the download
selector on the Digium website to indicate that the 1.2.x modules should
not be used with Asterisk 1.8.2.

--
Kevin P. Fleming
skype: kpfleming | jabber: kfleming at digium.com