[asterisk-users] Top Posting

Tzafrir Cohen tzafrir.cohen at xorcom.com
Mon Jan 17 02:50:37 CST 2011

Hi Fred,

(Message intentionally not snipped)

On Sun, Jan 16, 2011 at 09:43:00PM -0500, Fred Posner wrote:
> On Mon, 2011-01-17 at 02:31 +0000, James Miller wrote:
> > I hate to disagree but I find it much, much easier to follow conversations when the newest reply is on top.  I find it too time consuming to scroll through a long message just to find out someone left a three word reply.
> >
> > As I am on my blackberry more than I am at a pc, if I don't see the reply as soon as I open the message it gets deleted without being read.  Time is money and I don't have time to scroll through every message.
> >
> > I will agree that sometimes it is helpful to make replies at the bottom and I will attempt to keep the peace by posting at the bottom when I can, but top posting is easier and more clean to read than having 100 lines of > and broken lines.

If I were to answer James here, I would write here, and just remove
anything below this point (potentially remove even more, to leave only
relevant parts). Unless the content was important enough for me to
un-top-post it .

> > Warmest regards,
> > James
> >

> > Sent from my Verizon BlackBerry. Always on, Always Connected

Did you have fun re-reading all this stuff?

> I cannot imagine considering scrolling to the end of an email time
> consuming. Very sad. If you find it too difficult on your blackberry to
> press the B key (to jump to the bottom of the message) then I am
> uncertain how you have enough time to even read this email.
>
> I'm all for good arguments. That "time consuming" one is just lazy.
>
> I personally find top posting annoying and only serving to an immediate
> conversation. Particularly useless if referencing the message later.

The point of bottom-posting" is not to simply pile everything at the
bottom. There are also signatures below (17 lines of original message
below this one). The point is to trim out irrelevant stuff, so it is
easier to read the context of what you wrote without having to switch to
a different message (which also takes typing one or two other keys. Even
on a BlackBerry). So if you like bottom-posting so much, don't just
quote the original message: leav only the relevant bits of it.