[asterisk-users] Why are 4 ports used for a single call?

David White David.White at watchguard.com
Fri Jan 14 13:56:19 CST 2011

Each media stream will use two, one for RTP and one for RTCP.  In your case
10200/10201 are an RTP/RTCP pair, and 10504/10505 are another pair.  RTP is
always and even numbered port, and RTCP is always RTP port + 1.  Yes, it's
in the RFC for RTP.

The fact that you have two pairs means that two media streams are being
negotiated, perhaps one for audio and one for video?  Your phone config or
wireshark captures will tell you for certain.

Of course, I'm assuming that those ports are for one endpoint (phone).  If
one pair is for caller and one pair is for callee, then this is a normal
"simplest" scenario, one pair for each side.   You didn't specify "whose"
ports they were.