[asterisk-users] Failed SIP registration kicks registered device off?

James Lamanna jlamanna at gmail.com
Wed Jan 12 10:07:08 CST 2011

HI Ye,

On Mon, Jan 10, 2011 at 10:04 AM, Ye Liu <jaux.mw at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi folks,
>
> I'm currently running a modified version of Asterisk 1.6.1.1, I
> observed an unexpected behavior of my system today:
>
> 1. SIP device A successfully registered extension 100;
> 2. SIP device B tried to register extension 100 but with wrong
> password, so registration failed;
> 3. A then showed it was unregistered!
>
> Failed registration of device B shouldn't kick A off, I expect A stay
> online and work properly in this situation.
>
> Could anyone confirm this? Because my asterisk is modified, I'm not
> sure this behavior is in vanilla asterisk or it is caused by my own
> code.

AFAIK, Asterisk does not support simultaneous registration from more
than one device on the same extension.
That is why you are seeing this behavior. As soon as B tries to
register, the registration of A is 'overwritten'.
If you need this behavior, you might want to try and look into a
different UA Registrar like OpenSIPS, which supports this.

> Thank you!
>
> --
> Ye Liu (AKA @jaux)

-- James