[asterisk-users] Do I need a sip proxy?

Bruce B bruceb444 at gmail.com
Tue Jan 11 09:37:55 CST 2011

Thanks a lot for the great input Pan.

I think you are right on point with this one. I have STATIC PORT enabled in
my outbound WAN. I am not sure if it was set for SIP or OpenVPN use but it
is there for a reason.

So, I try to mingle a bit with Siproxd package. I am a bit fuzzy on it
though. If I have the Siproxd enabled, does it act as a one single server
that connects multiple times to my provider or providers and then I connect
to the Siproxd in return? Or, I can still register from Asterisk directly
with the provider(s) and Siproxd will take care of the SIP packets to be
handled nicely?

If it's the latter then it sounds fine to use otherwise it would not only be
complicated but also a downtime to Siproxd mean downtime to all Asterisk
servers.

***In addition I have setup Siproxd according to pfsense guide online but
once I save the configurations and return to it there are no configs left. I
know this question is for pfsense forum but maybe someone else experienced
this?

***And to return to my original question, do I need a SIP proxy and which
one would be suit my needs? I still like to get an input on my previous
e-mail. I have to stay with pfsense for now as it has proven to be a good
router in all other aspect.

Thanks,