[asterisk-users] OpenVPN + SIP configuration?

Mark Deneen mdeneen at gmail.com
Tue Jan 11 09:02:48 CST 2011

On Tue, Jan 11, 2011 at 9:29 AM, Andrew Latham <lathama at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Tue, Jan 11, 2011 at 11:20 AM, Gilles <codecomplete at free.fr> wrote:
>> Hello
>>
>> I read a whole book on OpenVPN, but still can't figure how to
>> configure the server + client so that the the client connects and
>> sends SIP/RTP data through the tunnel.
>>
>> To get started, I'd rather use a shared key instead of X509
>> (certificates + keys). The server is running on a uClinux appliance,
>> with /dev/net/tun, and OpenVPN is 2.0.9. The clients will be Windows
>> hosts connecting through Ethernet in hotels or public wifi hotspots.
>>
>> By any chance, would someone have a working configuration so I can
>> take a look?
>>
>> Thank you.
>

> Lazy way would be to use http://www.zentyal.org/ and point and click
> your way there...
>
> * Number one issue with Microsoft Windows clients on OpenVPN is
> getting the routing right.

Verify that you have an end-to-end connection before trying to push
any data through it.  If you are running windows vista or windows 7
and start the connection with the OpenVPN GUI, you have to run it as
administrator or it doesn't have the rights to add a route to the
routing table.

Don't be afraid of the certificate based method; it's really not hard!
 Using the shared secret will only allow a single point to point
connection.  That is, you have to use certificates if you want more
than one client.

-M