[asterisk-users] asterisk fax problem

Kevin P. Fleming kpfleming at digium.com
Tue Jan 11 08:17:48 CST 2011

On 01/11/2011 06:48 AM, Steve Underwood wrote:
> On 01/11/2011 04:14 PM, Oguzhan Kayhan wrote:
>> Hello,
>> I have asterisk 1.6.2.9-2
>> I tried to install fax utility as it is shown on pdf documents on
>> asterisk
>> site.
>>
>> I downloaded Opteron compiled res_fax and res_fax_digium files and
>> copied to
>> /usr/lib/asterisk/modules/ where default modules directory is.
>> I created a free fax license and created license file on asterisk
>> server too.
>>
>> WHen i run asterisk it crashed.
>> I noticed that if res_fax.so file is in directory (even with _digium
>> file or
>> not) i got error
>> already have an application
>> 'RECEIVE Fax' and 'SEND Fax'
>> If i remove res_fax.so file from directory asterisk loads but
>> i got the following error msgs on debug
>> [Jan 11 09:07:03] WARNING[11898]: loader.c:435 load_dynamic_module: Error
>> /usr/lib/asterisk/modules/res_fax_digium.so:
>> undefined symbol: ast_fax_tech_register
>> [Jan 11 09:07:03] WARNING[11898]: loader.c:801 load_resource: Module
>> 'res_fax_digium' could not be loaded.
>>
>> Cam sonebody help me about what is going on :)
> Install spandsp as your FAX engine, and make your problems go away.

He already has it, he has app_fax loaded by default (by whatever
Asterisk packages he is using, since 1.6.2.9-2 is not an official
Asterisk version number).

Oguzhan: Your Asterisk installation already has SendFAX and ReceiveFAX
applications (based on Steve's excellent spandsp library) installed, and
you can use them right now. If you want to try Digium's Fax For Asterisk
modules, you'll have to add "noload => app_fax.so" to your
/etc/asterisk/modules.conf file, so that you don't have two modules
trying to provide the same SendFAX/ReceiveFAX applications.

--
Kevin P. Fleming
skype: kpfleming | jabber: kfleming at digium.com